Are you familiar with bruxism? Bruxism occurs due to an oral health condition in which a person unconsciously grinds and clenches their teeth together. This typically happens while you’re asleep or unconscious and can be linked to a myriad of factors. In order to accurately and effectively protect your mouth, it is important to understand the known signs of bruxism that can occur, including the following:
– Bruxism is commonly linked to grinding and gnashing your teeth while you sleep. This form is known as sleep bruxism.
– Flat teeth and worn tooth enamel is a sign of bruxism.
– If you experience jaw pain or face pain or have any tired or tight jaw muscles, it could be linked to bruxism.
– Irregular features of your mouth including indentations on your tongue or cheek tissue damage to the inner lining of your cheeks is linked to bruxism.
– Pain that feels like earaches or dull headaches originating in your temples are often common symptoms of bruxism.
– Bruxism can cause a locked jaw which causes you to fail to fully open and close your jaw as needed.
Are you in need of bruxism treatment? If so, please call (989) 448‑2664 to schedule an appointment with Otsego Dental Group at our office in Gaylord, Michigan. Drs. Harbin or Kempton and our expert team are here to ensure you receive the proper care for treating bruxism.